The following was received by email from the EA on 18th October:
- Timelines – The latest from DEFRA is the Statutory Instrument laying in Parliament is unlikely to be before Autumn 2024. There are also transitional provisions for different parts of the reforms, as explained in the Supplementary government response
- We have released an update to the “Register your waste exemptions” digital service, which allows users to edit their existing registrations without needing to contact our national customer contact centre (NCCC). The new functionality includes the ability to:
- De-register existing waste exemptions
- Update email address, phone number, contact name
If you use waste exemptions or have members that do, the update helps ensure exempt holders do not miss out on waste exemption comms and helps support an accurate public register.
- We have sent a targeted survey to holders of certain types of waste exemptions (excl farmers). The survey will help us estimate the numbers of permit applications/permit variations resulting from the reforms and allow our National Permitting Service to plan for this workload.
The survey has been sent to holders of the exemptions that are directly affected by the reforms and also those that may potentially need to vary their permit to add their exempt activities. This includes but is not limited to S1/S2 (storage exemptions)/T4 (plastics, paper, card, etc)/T6 (wood) /T8 (tyres) /T9 (metal)/T23 (composting)/T25 (Anaerobic digestion)/U16 (End of Life Vehicles) exemptions. The closing date for the survey is 27th October (5pm). If you hold or have members who use waste exemptions, we would appreciate it if you could encourage them to complete the survey.
- We are preparing a waste exemption charges consultation (part of a wider charges consultation) for the end of November. Further details on the consultation will be sent to you and exempt holders directly in the coming weeks.